The White House warned Democrats not to include provisions in a stop-gap government funding measure that would restrict the Trump administration’s ability to build a wall on the southern border.
The White House Office of Legislative Affairs Director Eric Ueland said Tuesday that the Trump administration could consider another stop-gap continuing resolution (CR) to fund the government past November 21 “as long as it does not restrict authorities or abilities to pursue his [Trump’s] policy priorities, including wall construction.”
“We’re heartened to have continuing conversations with appropriate parties in Congress on the regular order spending bills, as well as a continuing resolution,” Ueland said before a closed-door Senate GOP lunch.
Congress will either have to pass its 12 appropriations bills or another CR before November 21 to avoid another government shutdown.
The Trump administration has asked to lift a restriction, which was included in the current CR, that places a limitation that requires any border wall funding to be focused solely on the Rio Grande Valley region.
Ueland reportedly dodged reporters’ questions over whether the administration would need the restriction lifted as part of agreeing to another CR.
President Trump declared a national emergency in the wake of Congress’ failure to pass an appropriations bill with a significant amount of border wall funding. The national emergency allows Trump to reappropriate defense spending towards building a wall along the southern border, thus fulfilling his foremost campaign promise.
Democrats and some Republicans have moved to terminate Trump’s national emergency to build the wall in September. In September, 11 Senate Republicans voted with Democrats to terminate the national emergency.
Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), who is up for reelection in 2020, said that the vote to terminate the national emergency is not about “whether you’re for or against a border wall.”
Sean Moran is a congressional reporter for Breitbart News. Follow him on Twitter @SeanMoran3.
Trending Now on We Build the Wall News
Leftist Panic Sets In As Trump Suspends All Immigration
President Donald J. Trump said Monday night on Twitter that he will suspend immigration to the United States amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
“In light of the attack from the Invisible Enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American Citizens, I will be signing an Executive Order to temporarily suspend immigration into the United States!” he said.
In light of the attack from the Invisible Enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American Citizens, I will be signing an Executive Order to temporarily suspend immigration into the United States!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 21, 2020
Last week, unemployment claims in the United States soared to about 25 million after state mandated lockdowns closed businesses around the country.
With millions of Americans unemployed, some elected officials and candidates called for an immigration halt.
“25 million Americans are unemployed today. All immigration should be halted until every citizen who wants a job has a job,” Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) said on April 17.
— Paul Gosar (@DrPaulGosar) April 17, 2020
Former U.S. Attorney General and Republican candidate for U.S. Senate from Alabama Jeff Sessions called for an immigration halt last week on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”
This week, I called on the federal government to IMMEDIATELY halt immigration to the United States until Americans are back to work. https://t.co/FBmHQVhtFO
— Jeff Sessions (@jeffsessions) April 18, 2020
Immigration hardliners, including this reporter, have renewed calls for a full moratorium on immigration to the United States since last summer. Foreign guest workers have long replaced American workers at the behest of cheap labor lobbyists in Washington, D.C.
Though the details of the Executive Order have not been released, President Trump’s Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany released a statement about the announcement.
“President Trump is committed to protecting the health and economic well-being of American citizens as we face unprecedented times,” she said. “As President Trump has said, ‘Decades of record immigration have produced lower wages and higher unemployment for our citizens, especially for African Americans and Latino workers.’ At a time when Americans are looking to get back to work, action is necessary.”
The United States closed its borders to non-essential travelers at the end of March.
Reports: Trump Suspends Guest Worker Visas Amid Pandemic
Amid the Chinese coronavirus pandemic and the United States’ rapidly growing unemployment rate, President Donald J. Trump’s administration Thursday announced that it will suspend additional seasonal work visas.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced the halt of the visa program via Twitter.
“To clear up various misreporting – DHS’s rule on the H-2B cap is on hold pending review due to present economic circumstances. No additional H-2B visas will be released until further notice,” DHS said.
To clear up various misreporting – DHS’s rule on the H-2B cap is on hold pending review due to present economic circumstances. No additional H-2B visas will be released until further notice. Per the statute, H-2B allocations are set in consultation with @USDOL.
— Homeland Security (@DHSgov) April 2, 2020
H-2B visas are commonly known as “low-skilled” worker visas. H-2B recipients often work in landscaping, agriculture, or service industry jobs in restaurants or hotels.
According to Fox News, seasonal guest worker visas are capped 66,000, but Congress had authorized a 64,000 visa increase for this summer.
“The extra visas were to be made available in two batches: 20,000 starting April 1, and a second batch starting May 15. But amid dire economic news, DHS has suspended the cap increase,” Fox reported.
Tucker Carlson sounded the alarm about the guest worker visas on his primetime cable news show Wednesday night, citing the previous 3.3 million unemployment claims from last week.
There’s a reason why @TuckerCarlson has become the most TRUSTED man in mainstream news. He LISTENS to the concerns of Americans & reports on it immediately.
Here he is asking why are we bringing in H-1B/H-2B visa workers at a time of HIGH unemployment:
— U.S. Tech Workers (@USTechWorkers) April 2, 2020
With Thursday’s news of 10 million American unemployment claims stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, immigration hawks — who are normally opposed increases in guest worker visas — have noted that Americans could use the jobs.
RJ Hauman, government relations director at the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), an immigration restrictionist group, spoke to Fox about the suspended visas. He called for even stricter immigration measures while the United States deals with the pandemic.
“This is a step in the right direction and should be applauded,” he said. “However, 10 million have lost their jobs in the past few weeks and it will get worse. American workers need more — a complete moratorium on guest worker admissions. President Trump has the authority and should use it.”
President Trump has closed the borders with Mexico and Canada to all non-essential travelers for the duration of the pandemic.